My First Weekend in Vancouver

After the terrible flight to Seattle with large/loud man, I hopped on a 16-seat puddle jumper plane to Vancouver. It was barely half an hour before I was off-boarding in Vancouver, where the sun was peeking through the clouds. Just a few minutes after that, I was in a long line to check in with the Immigration Officer, who, after I told her the truth about why I was here, sent me to the Immigration Office, where, after waiting in another long line, I was told that the paperwork for my Work Permit was not ready, and I was to be released to return to the airport before Monday at 3pm. They seized my passport to ensure my return, and told me that if I did not return by 3pm Monday, a warrant would be issued for my return. Cool! So three hours after landing, I was on the new Canada Line, the train from the airport. I was headed to North Vancouver, where Leslie would pick me up, so I took the Canada Line to the Waterfront, hopped on a SeaBus (ferry) to the other side of the bay. Leslie picked me up at Starbucks at Lonsdale Quay, we dropped my things off at her place, and met Julia for dinner at a little seafood restaurant, where I enjoyed a seafood paella.

Saturday morning, Leslie helped me check in to my apartment, which is a beautiful 2br, 2ba in a new high-rise building. The wall-to-wall windows have views of the harbor, the mountains, and a few of the Olympic venues. I'm excited that there is a washer/dryer, and that I won't be moving from this apartment until I leave Vancouver. After I dropped off my luggage, Leslie and I met Trevor for a brief dogwalk/coffee at Stanley Park. It was a beautiful morning. I broke away to get to the office, where I spent my workday reading up on policies, checking out the facilities, and meeting people new to the company. I went to Fountainhead Pub for dinner, but just after I ordered my burger, I realized I'd forgotten my wallet and had to run home for it. It was an uneventful evening, and I was in bed before midnight.

Sunday, I headed down to the gym in my building for a jog on the treadmill, since it was raining. Julia picked me up around 11, and we went to a diner in Gastown for brunch. Post-brunch, we enjoyed some shopping on West 4th (in Kitsilano) and Robson (the Michigan Avenue of Vancouver.) I picked up some outdoor running clothes, since it turns out it's so temperate here! I hope I'll be able to take some good runs along the sea wall! After Julia dropped me off, I went to Urban Fare (think Whole Foods--I know, it's expensive, but it's the only grocery in walking distance) and picked up some staples--milk, eggs, yogurt, etc. and returned to the apartment to watch the Golden Globes. I fired up the Skype to talk with B for a while, and then called it a night.

All in all, the weather has been great. It's been in the 40s, raining on and off, but not unbearably. It could be ok to live here for a few weeks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEVER KNEW I COULD FEEL LIKE THIS

Three Things Your (Gay) Christian Kid Needs to Hear from You