One Word You Should Stop Using Today

"I've wanted to be a dad for as long as I remember, but I'm not sure I ever will be, since I'm 36 and I'm still single."

"Can I make one suggestion about what you just said to me?" my friend asked.

"Sure."

"Leave out the word still. You're judging what is, as if it's wrong. When you say you're "still single," it's as if you should've found a partner already. As if you should've done something differently. You're single. It's what is. For whatever reason, it's what's meant to be."

Mind. Blown.

How often do we use STILL to judge ourselves?

"I've been working out at Mark Fisher Fitness for 6 months and I STILL don't  have 6 pack abs."

"I've been taking ballet for 3 years and I STILL can't do a pirouette."

" I STILL can't resist the sweets they keep stocked in the office."

"I've been on 139 auditions and I STILL haven't booked a Broadway show."

"I've been working at this job for 2 years and I STILL haven't been promoted."


My friend Jace once introduced me to the idea that "History is never wrong." Where we are is where we are meant to be. Should we be planning to make tomorrow better? Absolutely! But can we change anything today by thinking that yesterday should've happened differently? No! I'm not particularly happy that I'm single. But if I can accept my current state without judgement, without the idea that somewhere along the way I made a mistake that landed me here, I can move forward with more hope, more positivity. Less judgement, less negativity. Accepting the present as what should be, as right, can help us focus our positive energy toward our hopes and goals!

Next time you catch yourself making a STILL statement, see if you can rephrase it positively.

What if we said:

"I really want to be a dad. I'm sure I'll meet a great guy who shares that desire."

"I haven't gotten six pack abs but I have met some really great friends working out at Mark Fisher Fitness!"

"My ballet classes have given me such great posture. Now I'm working really hard on nailing my pirouettes!"

"I really love M&Ms, so I only have them at the office and never keep any at home."

"The right audition hasn't come along to put me on Broadway, but I keep auditioning because nothing worth having comes easily, right?"

"I've had my job for 2 years and I can't believe all the ways I've really grown in this position!"


What are some of the things you say to judge yourself? Could it help you to let go of these judgements and think more positively? It's working for me; let me know if it works for you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEVER KNEW I COULD FEEL LIKE THIS

Three Things Your (Gay) Christian Kid Needs to Hear from You