I Do Not Have A Drinking Problem


In 2016, I set one of my goals as “Drink Alcohol 2 or Fewer Nights Per Week.”

I failed miserably.

While there were many stretches that I did not have alcohol (like whole months in a row,) this success was due to short moratoriums like “Sober-Tober,” wherein I agreed not to drink any alcohol at all for a month, usually with some big event on the horizon, like a birthday. I’m great at following rules. At deciding that I won’t do something at all. But I’m also great at ALL OR NOTHING thinking. I’m NOT great at moderation.

As I approached 2017, I thought about how I could make progress or reframe this goal. As I analyzed why my goal didn’t work in 2016, I had a few thoughts.

1.     I do not think there is anything inherently wrong with drinking alcohol. In fact, I REALLY enjoy it! I enjoy the taste and ritual of opening and drinking a Northern Italian red wine. I love slowly sipping a glass of bourbon. In 2012, when I gave up drinking for 90 days, I returned to alcohol with a renewed commitment not to drink shitty beer. So if I have beer, I have a really dark, hoppy IPA and enjoy the fuck out of it! The conclusion? NOT DRINKING doesn’t align with my values. I don’t value not drinking just for the sake of not drinking.
2.     In my values statement (I am lean. I am strong. I am kind. I am grateful. I am worth. I am doing my best.), I find that drinking alcohol most does not align with “I AM LEAN.” Where alcohol is not serving me is in its affects on my health and fitness.
·      When I drink, I ingest empty calories. If I have a whole bottle of wine, that can be 600+ calories added to my daily intake.
·      When I drink, I tend to make food choices that I might not otherwise make (cut to me eating a whole bag of pretzels on the train ride home after a night of drinking at Therapy.)
·      When I’m hungover, I might skip a workout or not give it my all.
3.     There’s not just one reason I drink. Digging deeper, I came up with 4:
·      PURE ENJOYMENT: Enjoying a quality beverage with a quality friend or date, sipping it slowly and truly enjoying it.
·      SOCIAL LUBRICANT: As an introvert, I sometimes use alcohol to loosen me up and break down barriers that keep me from talking to strangers.
·      SOCIAL PRESSURE: Sometimes, I order a drink because it’s what everyone else is doing. Because I would feel weird to be the only one standing at the bar without a drink in my hand.
·      NUMB FEELINGS: There are times when I drink to numb emotions. After a hard day at work, a breakup, or a difficult conversation.

Without placing judgment on the reasons that I drink (there still may be times that I decide to consciously and intentionally drink to numb my feelings or to lubricate socially,) I wanted to build awareness around my drinking rather than make rules about it. I wanted to start “DRINKING MINDFULLY.”  I wanted to explore my behavior with curiosity rather than judgment.

So for 2017, I started a “journal” in the Notes app on my iPhone, where I resolved to write down the WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN, and HOW of my alcohol consumption. The How is How I’m Feeling, including which of the 4 reasons (Enjoyment, Social Lubricant, Social Pressure, and Numbing Feelings) and How I felt the next morning (any negative effects of these drinks?)

So far, I’ve had alcohol on 7 nights in 2017.

One night I wrote “3 whiskey on a date. TOO MANY! I may have talked too much. I felt drunk in bed when I got home and hung over the next morning. I also kept eating at dinner after I was full. The intent behind these drinks was Enjoyment, but overindulging ruins the enjoyment.”

Another night I wrote “3 glasses of red wine. Delicious red wine and lovely company. Enjoyment! But I did have 2 slices of the tiramisu because it was so good. Is alcohol to blame?”

It’s too early to tell whether this will create a long-term mindset shift for me around alcohol consumption, but I think its safe to say that it will. Is there some habit you’ve been unable to stop or start, and you can’t figure out why? Maybe starting a non-judgmental journal about that habit could help you create some awareness around what’s driving it? Instead of getting mad at yourself, GET CURIOUS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEVER KNEW I COULD FEEL LIKE THIS

Three Things Your (Gay) Christian Kid Needs to Hear from You